RE: Cell surface receptor

Bob Ashcroft (cytomat@netcore.com.au)
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 23:23:38 +1000

Dear Philippe (Poncelet)

I read your message with interest and would like to receive Part B.

>From the viewpoint of a binding study, I think the generalised analysis we
did in Ron Chatelier's paper in the EMBO J still raises the question of
what happens when there are several different cell-types which occur within
a mixture such as whole blood, each of which has (different?) binding
specificity for the target antigen, as applies with all of the non-lineage
specific antibodies.

This is why the initial process needs to be done with "pure"(?) cell lines,
which express just a single class of specific binding sites; of course,
this needs to be demonstrated via proper binding curves (best done by the
isoparametric method I would say).

I don't accept your enthronement of the radio method as the gold standard,
because of its bulk reporting response and because of the influence of
dead-cell uptake.

The gold standard will be fluorescent ligands with defined univalent
antigen-specific binding, used initially via an isoparametric study and
calibrated against a series of bi-valent Mabs, eg those offered by Dako, BC
and BD.

I am intersted to hear more on QIFI though.
Bob