Re: Antibody Conjugation Vendor and Alexa633

From: Mark Shlomchik (mark.shlomchik@yale.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 12:09:05 EST

To all:

We have found that Alexa647 seems to match the HeNe laser the best,
with the best compromise of absorption and emission spectra, at least
for the FACScalibur filter set and probably for most sorters that are
set up for APC.  It certainly gives much better signal than 633,
conjugating the same protein preps.  While 633 gets excited more
optimally by the HeNe, its Stokes shift is small and much of its
emission is cut off by the typical filters used for APC/FL4.

Although 647 has almost the same spectral qualities as Cy5, for some
reason we seem to get superior reagents from the Alexa dye.  I would
also point out that (finally) Molecular Probes is now selling the
bulk hydroxysuccinimide ester reagent, making it much more economical
for those who want to do a number of conjugations.  However, none of
the Alexa dyes is going to be as bright as APC, so if brightness is
paramount, you will still want APC.

A question to Pete:  are you distinguishing the 630 and 660 signals
from the same excitation simultaneously?  If so, what filter sets do
you use and what are the compensations, etc.

Mark Shlomchik, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Laboratory Medicine
and Immunobiology
Yale University School of Medicine

--
Mark Shlomchik, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Laboratory Medicine
and Immunobiology
Yale University School of Medicine

203-688-2089
203-688-2748 (fax)