Re: Red cell labels

Edoardo Colombo (coledoco@tin.it)
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 13:03:28 +0200

DiOC5 from Molecular Probes is a dye that could be
considerated in distinguishing dead cells from vital ones ;
it measures the membrane potential and enters only into
dead cells without damage for the vital ones.
We use this dye since 1993 to assess the resistance of
microbiological strain to antibiotic therapy by flow
Regards

Edoardo Colombo MD
Director Flow Lab
Dept. of Pathology
Valduce Hospital
COMO , Italy
coledoco@tin.it

----------
From: G R Barclay <Robin_Barclay@compuserve.com>
To: cyto-inbox
Subject: Red cell labels
Date: gioved=EC 11 settembre 1997 17.08

Dear colleagues
I am looking for advice on labels which might be used to distinguish
damaged and/or dead red cells from healthy ones. Ideally, such a label
would readily enter healthy cells, not be quenched by haemoglobin, and be
lost from membrane-compromised cells - and would be excitable at 488nm.=20
Alternatively - it might enter cells, *not* be readily lost - and be
quenched by haemoglobin - - so that loss of haemoglobin might allow it to
emit. Any suggestions?? I may also be looking for similar live/dead
markers for platelets - no haemoglobin, but any suggestions and pitfalls?
Robin Barclay
Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service
Edinburgh