Re: Mac upgrades for FACScans

Matthias Haury (mhaury@pen.gulbenkian.pt)
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 11:04:48 +0100

Hi Julie,

just to tell you my point of view, I would go for a 604e processor machine
(the 7600), as they are much faster than the 603 processor machines even
with higher Mhz rates. The 6500/250 is quite a bit slower than a 604e
machine even at 180 Mhz. And you need a fast machine if you want to handle
large FACS datafiles.

I run Mac OS 7.5.5 on my FACScans in Acquisition with no problems
(Cellquest 3.1). Mac OS 8 is not recommended (yet ?) by BDIS for
Acquisition, but works ok in Analysis. You can use 7.6.1 as well in
Acquisition with no problems.

Hope that helps. Matthias

PS: The fact that BDIS is always a bit behind the current Apple Model line,
is because Apple changes their models every 6 months (if not more often),
and I suppose that BDIS can't possibly follow that if they have to approve
and test intensively each machine before they can guarantee full
compatibility with their cards and software.

Matthias Haury Flowcytometry Dept Immunology Institut Pasteur
mhaury@pasteur.fr Tel: 33 (01) 40 61 31 29 Fax: 33 (01) 45 68 86 39