Re: Sorting on Slides

Julie Auger (@icr.ac.uk@malin.icr.ac.uk)
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 13:31:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 02 Sep 1997 13:13:59 -0400 (EDT)
KDOMENICO@magnum.mco.edu wrote:

> Hello everyone! I would like to ask those of you who sort on microscope slides
> for histochemical stains or FISH for some technical help. We have tried sorting
> ficolled cells onto slides using blood bank saline for the sheath fluid. The
> sorting goes well but when the slides air dry atfer a sort, the cells lose
> their integrity. Is there something else we should be doing? I have been trying
> to monitor the bulletin board for other questions on this subject but have not
> seen any as of yet. Thank you for your help.
>
> Karen Domenico (a.k.a. The CCS Volunteer)
> Medical College of Ohio
> Toledo, Ohio

Use 1/10 saline as your sheath fluid. This will avoid
problems caused by salt crystals as the sheath fluid
evaporates.

I would also recommend using coated slides (I use
polylysine but the SectionLock slides from Polysciences
might be worth trying).

Michael Ormerod
preferred email address: Michael_Ormerod@compuserve.com