Re: Flow cytometer location

David L. Haviland, Ph.D. (dhavilan@imm2.imm.uth.tmc.edu)
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:54:42 -0500

At 11:30 9/15/97 +0000, Hazel Davey wrote:

>We are in the process of moving laboratories which is not an easy
>job when you have an Elite! One of the proposed locations for the
>flow cytometer room is next door to a room containing an
>ultracentrifuge. I'd appreciate comments on how advisable (or not)
>this would be....
>
>Any comments from people who have moved their flow cytometer labs
>would also be welcomed - we'll probably have Coulter in to do the
>move for us but pointers to problems or better still ways of
>avoiding them would be appreciated.
>
>Seeing as the lab is being planned from scratch I'd also appreciate
>your comments on "essential" and "ideal" characteristics of a flow
>lab. This kind of info would be very useful for people who are about
>to get into flow. I'll put the suggestions on my web server as they
>come in and post a summary here.

Hazel:

I think I might be remotely qualified to answer your question as I have
moved and Elite not once, but twice...

The issue of being next to an ultracentrifuge isn't really an issue. THE
issue is that the Elite have power that is one separate circuits from the
ultracentrifuge. Your room where it will be should have its own
independent operable themostat and preferably a sink with a DI tap. Just
make sure that the circuits are independent and that nothing else in the
building shares those circuits. If memory serves, the power not only
drives your lasers but also powers the pressure regulators that govern
sheath and sample pressure, thus, fluctuations in power will affect stream
stability during sorting.

As far as the move itself, you'll obviously need a few "gorillas" as even
when stripped down, the laser bench is heavy and give you a workout if it
need be pushed up any sort of incline.

Holler if need be,
David

David L. Haviland, Ph.D.