Re: Cell Surface Receptor Number

Deborah Berglund (umbbd@gemini.oscs.montana.edu)
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 14:10:31 -0600 (MDT)

You can sort of do this, but you need to be aware that you are measuring
the amount of fluorescence from the label, not necessarily the actual
receptor. Also you need to know how much fluorescence you are getting
from your label. We have come close to an answer by using an
avidin-biotin linkage, with a known number of fluorescein molecules on the
biotin and using calibration particles with known numbers of fluorescein
molecules. Our probe is not an antibody. I would not presume to say that
our numbers are actual, just relative.

Deb Berglund
Montana State University Microbiology