RE: FITC=//=FITC?

Calman Prussin (CPRUSSIN@atlas.niaid.nih.gov)
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 16:18:12 -0400

In my experience all FITCs (and PEs) are equal, however all
fluoresceins are not equal.

The MolProbes catalog lists the conjugate as "fluorescein labeled
dextran", not FITC. My guess is they used FSX, fluorescein-x
succinimidyl ester, which has a longer wavelength emission and hence
requires more compensation.

Calman

----------
From: Dr William Smith
Sent: Wednesday, September 3, 1997 10:41 PM
To: cyto-inbox
Subject: FITC=//=FITC?

Excuse my ignorance, there is probably a simple answer to this but-
Are
FITCs not all equal?
Using most commercial and in-house FITC conjugated antibodies, I find
that
the overlap into the FL2 channel on our Coulter XL can be compensated
with
a 16-20% subtraction of the FL1 signal, which is of course normal.
However, using FITC-dextran (Mol. Probes) there is a much greater
overlap
into FL2 which cannot be satisfactorily compensated out. This is not
due to
relative brightness, which is often greater in the conjugated
antibodies.
Furthermore, recently I tested a bottle of commercial FITC-GAM which I
was
given, from the back of someone's fridge, expiry date several years
ago. It
seemed to stain the cells well, but again, I noticed a huge signal in
FL2
which wasn't compensated out even with a 70% subtraction. Using this
marker
alone, ie. no PE, and 20% compensation, all FITC positive cells were
also
positive in FL2. With 70% compensation, the majority of FITC labelled
cells
were on the baseline but many were still showing positive in FL2.
Is there an explanation for this? FITC isomers, someone has told me?

Dr William Smith

Institute for Child Health Research
(Company Limited by Guarantee ACN 009 278 755)
Subiaco, Western Australia, 6008
PO Box 855 West Perth WA 6872

Ph 61 8 9340 8792/8388, Fax 61 8 9388 3414
email williams@ichr.uwa.edu.au