RE: Cord blood

Richard Moldwin (rmoldwin@midway.uchicago.edu)
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 08:01:51 -0500

_____________________________________
> Dr William Smith
>
> Institute for Child Health Research
> (Company Limited by Guarantee ACN 009 278 755)
> Subiaco, Western Australia, 6008
> PO Box 855 West Perth WA 6872
>
> Ph 61 8 9340 8792/8388, Fax 61 8 9388 3414
> email williams@ichr.uwa.edu.au

For cord blood banking, we use two approaches to RBC removal.
For red cell agglutination and removal, we with hetastarch (Hespan) to
agglutinate red cells. See Pablo Rubinstein's 1995 PNAS paper (vol 92, p
10119) for details.
For counting cells, we use "Zapoglobin" (saponin-based, I believe) to lyse
most of the contaminating red cells

I hope this helps
--Rich Moldwin

^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Richard Moldwin, M.D., Ph.D.
Section of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
University of Chicago Hospitals
Wyler Room C408, MC 4060
5841 S. Maryland Ave.
Chicago, IL 60637