Re: Streptavidin Cy5

Larry Arnold (lwarma@med.unc.edu)
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 10:56:18 -0400 (EDT)

Jon

I have used this reagent extensively with little trouble. You didn't say
which compnay you're geting it from - I have used predominantly GIBCO
BRL'sRED670 but also some of Pharmingen's. It is known the Cy5 can bind to
Fc receptors (Carlton Stewart presented this at Lake Placid - don't know if
he published it - Carlton can you tell us?). You can block with anti-Fc
receptor (clone 2.4G2). Also have you done a proper titration. It might be
you are using too much. If you took the manufacturer's suggested use you
are for sure. GIBCO suggests to use 1ug/106 cells (although they do suggest
titering it). We use 125ng/test (that's a 1:500 dilution and 25ul/test
sample) on 106 cells! Titrate the reagent not for brightest staining but
best signal to noise ratio.

Larry Arnold
Univ. of North Carolina