Re: Exporting figures from cell quest: how?

Tom Frey (Tom_Frey@bdis.com)
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 17:23:37 -0800

--IMA.Boundary.582933958

Alan,
What you can do is the following: just type command-shift-3 and you will
here the sound of a snap shot of your desktop. An image of your destop
will be saved probably as a file called picture in your hard drive.
You can open this file with SimpleText and use regular cut and paste part
of this picture to any software, or you open it with any
graphic/multimedia software where you can invert the black background of
your plots to white and do any other modification.

Good Luck,
Christian

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Al Sabirsh wrote:

> Hello to all,
>
> We would like to publish some figures/diagrams/pictures produced by Cell
> Quest on a power Mac. I tried printing them to a file (which
> subsequently prints out just fine) but nothing I have that can normally
> open postscript files (Photoshop, Canvas, Word etc.) will read them.
> Copying everything to the clipboard works, but there is a loss of
> resolution, particularly in the fonts, that requires lots of fiddly
> correction. So.....
>
> How is everybody else doing this? It seems ridiculous to have to
> reconstruct the figures manually. What am I missing? The list archive
> doesn't seem to contain any info on this.
>
> Al Sabirsh

--IMA.Boundary.582933958

A method that I have found useful for high quality graphics from CellQuest is to
generate a figure that is two-fold or more larger (in all dimensions) than the
final output that I intend. (Remember to increase the point size for the text
of the plots and any free text.) You can then print at 50% or cut and paste and
then either adjust the size or print at 50% in the new application.

This has the effect of smoothing text and of decreasing the size of the dots in
dot plots. Note that sufficiently smoother text can sometimes be obtained
merely by changing point size or selecting bold.

One other warning about this trick - the finer dots don't project very well and
I therefore don't recommend it for slides!

Tom_Frey@bdis.com
--IMA.Boundary.582933958--