[Introduction to STEP]
[STEP Committee Members]
[Search for Keyword]
USC Flow Cytometry Laboratory 2250 Alcazar Street - SCS 108 Los Angeles, CA 90033Laboratory Profile
Director: John W. Parker, M.D.
1. Facilities: 1800 square foot facility containing instrument room, computer facilities, conference room, and offices.
Flow cytometry: Ortho Cytoron Absolute with 15 MW argon laser; Coulter Profile II with 15 MW argon laser; Becton-Dickinson FACScan with 15 MW argon laser.
Hematology: JT-2 Coulter hematology analyzer, light microscopes, fluorescent microscope.
Computers: Software for flow cytometry includes Multi-cycle, Multi-Report, PC-Lysys, Profile Flownet software and ELITE workstation, immunocount software; non-cytometry includes Lotus 123, Wordstar, DBaseIII+. Hardware includes 1 x 486 66 mHz, 3 x 386 33 mHz, 2 x 286 22 mHz and Network with Novell software.
3. Specialization Areas: Antigen coated beads, 3-color immunophenotyping, AIDS phenotyping, leukemia/lymphoma phenotyping, bone marrow transplant stem cell phenotyping. TdT by FCM, platelet antibodies, and phenotypes.
4. Special Opportunities: Processing and handling of specimens from patients with AIDS, and leukemias/lymphomas, for phenotyping, solid tumors (fresh and paraffin) for DNA, cell cycle analysis. Phenotypic characterization of leukocyte from AIDS, leukemias/lymphomas, immunological disorders. DNA/cell cycle analysis, TdT, reticulocyte counts, platelet phenotypes and antibodies.
5. Special Courses Offered: Usage of three different clinical flow cytometers (Cytoron, Profile, FACScan), principles of FCM, leukocyte immunophenotyping; solid tumor DNA analysis; bilingual (technical personnel are bilingual in Spanish and English) in FCM; software usage.
6. Graduate Programs: On hand training in clinical FCM. Lectures and informal tutorials. For pathology residents, postdoctoral fellows, medical students, technologists.
7. Local Accommodations: Local hotels are a 15-minute drive from lab. Discounted rates are given to people visiting USC. Pasadena Hilton, 150 S. Los Robles Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91101, phone (818) 577-1000 ($96/single or double); Holiday Inn, 303 E. Cordova Street, Pasadena, CA 91101, phone (818) 449-4000 ($79/single or double).
8. Transportation: Los Angeles Airport (LAX) is 45-60 minutes by cab or shuttle; Burbank 20-25 minutes by cab or shuttle.
9. Cost of Internship: $400/day or $1500/week. Rate includes ten hours of flow cytometry instrumentation time. Best time of year is June through August. Times by arrangement.
John W. Parker, M.D. Professor of Pathology Director, USC Flow Cytometry Laboratory and USC Pathology Reference Laboratory 2250 Alcazar Street - CSC 108 Los Angeles, CA 90033 Phone: (213) 342-2920 FAX: (213) 342-2990