[Introduction to STEP]
[STEP Committee Members]
[Search for Keyword]
Sperm Cell Analysis
Center for Quantitative Cell Analysis The Pennsylvania State University 8B Althouse Lab University Park, PA 16802Laboratory Profile
Head: Dr. Roy H. Hammerstedt, Director
Elaine Kunze, Laboratory Supervisor
1. Facilities: General biochemistry lab, tissue culture facility, animal care facilities, EM lab, routine availability of bull, chicken, and ram (in season) semen, computer facilities.
Flow cytometry: EPICS 753 dual laser, configuration available for simultaneous UV and visible excitation.
Other major items: Meridian ACAS 570 interactive laser cytometer, fluorescent photomicroscope (with UV cube), fluorescent plate reader, One-Cell System gel microdroplet maker.
Computer & analytical: Data are routinely transferred via Coulter Flownet to IBM PC. Software includes Coulter Elite 4.0, MDADS; non-cytometry software includes WordPerfect 6.0, QuattroPro, Aldus Pagemaker 5.0, Harvard Graphics. Ethernet and relevant software to connect to Medline and reference material.
3. Specialization Areas: Three-color studies correlating viability, acrosomal integrity, and mitochondrial function with standard microscopic assessment. Studies in sperm cryoprotection; critical osmolality, and hydraulic conductivity. Kinetic-based assays correlating Ca++ or Zn++ with acrosomal integrity (UV and visible). Multicolor lectin binding studies. Extensive experience with sperm cells from a variety of species (including bull, ram, horse, chicken, human, hamster, rat, and bat).
4. Special Opportunities: Preparation and staining of sperm cells. We typically use bull cells for training because of routine availability. Experimental set-up: light scattering profiles and appropriate gates, problems with cytoplasmic droplets and sperm shape. Kinetic studies if desired.
5. Special Courses Offered: We offer courses in flow cytometry applications and general flow cytometry usage.
6. Graduate Program: None at this time.
7. Local Accommodations: Stevens Motel ($30/night, 15 minute walk). Nittany Lion Inn (on campus, $82-108/night). Days Inn (in State College, 10 minute walk, $69/night)
8. Transportation: The University Park Airport is serviced by United (Dallas), USAir (Pittsburgh), and Northwest (Detroit).
9. Cost of Internship: Depends on the studies required. Typically $500/week would cover 10 hours of flow cytometry instrumentation time.
Elaine Kunze Laboratory Supervisor 8B Althouse Lab University Park, PA 16802 Phone: (814) 863-2762 (814) 863-2791 FAX: (814) 865-2413 E-mail: email@example.com