[Introduction to STEP]
[STEP Committee Members]
[Search for Keyword]
Ligand - Receptor Interaction, Cell Adhesion and Whole Blood Cytometry
University of New Mexico Cytometry Laboratory University of New Mexico School of Medicine 900 Camino de Salud, NE Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131-5636Laboratory Profile
Head: Larry A. Sklar, Ph.D.; Technical Director: Larry Seamer, BS, MT (ASCP)
1. Facilities: 3000 square foot facility containing instrumentation lab, general biology lab, computer facilities, tissue culture facility, molecular biology facility for preparation of vectors, transfection, and expression.
Flow cytometry: FACScan (2), Epics Elite, Epics 753.
Other major items: Hitachi spectrophotometer; SLM 8000 spectrofluorometer; SLM 4850 MHF spectrofluorometer; Applied Photophysics DX. 18 double mix spectrophotometer; Zeiss phase-contrast microscope; Meridian InSIGHT plus laser scanning, confocal microscope; Beckman elutriator centrifuge.
3. Specialization Areas:
Ligand-receptor analysis: Receptor site number; binding constants and rates; receptor internalization; computational modeling.
Whole blood cytometry: Physiology of cells in blood; adhesive interactions; receptor expression; leukocyte-platelet interactions.
Cell-cell interactions: Heterotypic and homotypic adhesion analysis; receptor expression.
4. Special Opportunities: Ligand-receptor interactions: Ligand-receptor analysis and modeling. Isolation, preparation, handling of human neutrophils. Handling of blood; assay of priming and receptor expression in patient samples.
5. Special Courses Offered: None at this time.
6. Graduate Program: Mentors associated with UNM Structural Biology Center and Cytometry Laboratory.
7. Local Accommodations: Nearby hotels and motels ranging from $25 - $75 per day. Closest is one mile. Some provide van transportation to UNM.
8. Transportation: Local airport is Albuquerque International, 4 miles from UNM; cab is approximately $6.00
9. Cost of Internship: Negotiable.
Larry A Sklar, Ph.D. Professor of Pathology University of New Mexico School of Medicine Cytometry/UNM Cancer Center, Room 325 900 Camino de Salud, NE Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131-5636 Phone: (505) 277-7249 FAX: (505) 277-6677 E-mail: LSKLAR@MEDUSA.UNM.EDU