[Introduction to STEP]
[STEP Committee Members]
[Search for Keyword]
Flow Cytometry Laboratory Services Cancer Therapy & Research Center San Antonio, Texas 78229Laboratory Profile
Laboratory Manager: Steven K. Koester, M.S.
1. Facilities: 725 square foot instrument and preparation laboratory, several small multiuse rooms for tissue culture and freezer storage, office space for visiting scientists.
Flow cytometry: Coulter EPICS ELITE with Innova 300 argon laser and air-cooled argon. Also Coulter EPICS 752 with two 5-watt argon lasers.
Other major instrumentation: Coulter ZM cell counter, fluorescent photomicroscope.
Computers & analytical: Coulter ELITE and MDADS computers at cytometers. Also a Hewlett Packard Vectra RS/20, 80386 off-line computer with ETHERNET for EPICS 752. Software for cytometry includes Phoenix MULTICYCLE AV and Verity MODFIT.
3. Specialization Areas: Our laboratory has experience with DNA content and cell cycle measurements; DNA content plus surface marking epitopes; immunophenotyping of AIDS.
4. Special Opportunities: Tissue culture and solid tumor preparation, staining, evaluation on the flow cytometer, and cell cycle analysis. Staining of whole blood or Ficol prepared mononuclear cells for phenotypic expression. Training for EPICS 752 and EPICS ELITE applications.
5. Special Courses Offered: The Annual San Antonio Flow Cytometry Forum (7th year) which consists of 1-2 days of symposium/workshops. Our laboratory provided a workshop on cellular DNA content and S-phase analysis consisting of cell/nuclear preparation, staining, flow cytometry analysis, and cell cycle compartment analysis.
6. Graduate Programs: None available; however, the CTRC has a close association with the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
7. Local Accommodations: a) Medical Center Guest House Inn, $49.45/night for a room with 2 beds, stove, refrigerator, phone and cable TV; b) Warren Inn, $115.00/week for studio apt.: no TV or phone; $136/week for 1 bedroom apt.: no TV or phone; $154.00/week for studio apt.: TV and phone; c) Homestead Village, $89.00-$139.00/week for efficiency: TV and phone. All are within walking distance of the CTRC.
8. Transportation: Shuttles or taxi available from the San Antonio International Airport for approximately $10.00/way.
9. Cost of Internships: $800.00 for one week of training/person which will cover laboratory costs, reagents, flow cytometry instrument time, and computer time.
Steven K. Koester, M.S. Laboratory Manager/Research Scientist Flow Cytometry Laboratory Services Cancer Therapy & Research Center 8122 Data Point Drive, Suite 700 San Antonio, Texas 78229 Phone: (210) 616-5880 FAX: (210) 692-7502