[Introduction to STEP]
[STEP Committee Members]
[Search for Keyword]
Crossmatching by Flow Cytometry
Histocompatibility Laboratory Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine Emory University Hospital 1364 Clifton Road Atlanta, GA 30322Laboratory Profile
Directors: Robert A. Bray, Ph.D., and Glenn E. Rodey, M.D.
1. Facilities: Approximately 2500 square feet of space are available containing all instrumentation relative to histocompatibility testing.
2. Instrumentation: The laboratory operates a FACScan flow cytometer utilizing LYSYSII automated sampler to facilitate flow cytometric evaluation of alloantibodies in patients awaiting renal or cardiac transplantation.
3. Specialization Areas: The laboratory provides specialty training in the areas of flow cytometric crossmatching, flow cytometric evaluation of alloantibodies, post-transplant monitoring by flow cytometry, and immunophenotyping pertinent to organ transplantation ( e.g. OKT3 monitoring).
4. Special Opportunities: The HLA Laboratory at Emory University offers a 2-day specialty training course in flow cytometry pertinent to organ transplantation. Individuals who participate in this 2-day course will be trained in all aspects related to the performance of flow cytometric evaluation of alloantibodies. Training will also include appropriate quality control, selection of appropriate control sera, and how to determine appropriate cut-points for assessing a positive reaction. The individual will also have exposure to automated antibody analysis by flow cytometry and the role for post-transplant monitoring of anti-donor antibodies.
5. Special Courses Offered: The HLA Laboratory at Emory University offers a 2-day specialty training course in flow cytometry pertinent to organ transplantation.
6. Graduate Programs: None at this time.
7. Local Accommodations: The Emory Inn is conveniently located and rates run between $64 and $77 per night. The Emory Inn is located at 1641 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30329. Phone: (404) 712-6700.
8. Transportation: Hartsfield International Airport services all major domestic and international cities. Shuttle service is available from the airport to Emory for approximately $10 each way.
9. Cost of Internship: $350.00 is the cost for the two-day training course. This fee includes all reagents, supplies, printed materials (procedures, references, etc. ), and cytometer time. Additional days can be added at a cost of $100/day.
Robert A. Bray, Ph.D. Director, HLA Laboratory Emory University Hospital 1364 Clifton Road Atlanta, GA 30322 Phone: (404) 727-8498 FAX: (404) 727-8117